Thursday 6 September 2012

My Hubby The King Of Cups

Not The Establishment Again

My blog followers at http://thecrazyangmoandhisangrywife.blogspot.com  will remember that I abhor the pedantic rules of any establishment.   This disdain for following the rulebooks and bowing to rigid regulations was borne from my experience as a child, seeing Dad being carted away in hand-cuffs as a political detainee right before my eyes.  More than 30 years ago, when Dad kept racks of books and papers from left-wing political leaders, and held discussions on political ideas not aligned to the establishment, he was incarcerated for “conspiracy” and our home got ransacked by burly, glove-clad, clipboard-toting establishment lackeys.

Don’t Touch My Bikes

Two days ago, I received a letter from the town council requesting that we remove our bicycles from the corridor outside our front door.  I have lived here for so long, and these bicycles had never posed a problem.  Moreover, all the neighbors on the same floor had big potted plants lined up outside their front doors too.  So, unless one is built like the A380, the bicycles and the potted plants definitely wouldn’t be a safety hazard as there was ample space along the corridor.

I went into a fit of rage when we were told to have our bicycles chained downstairs at the bicycle stands instead.  This is because, I have on numerous occasions, spotted a lonely bicycle wheel, or bicycle handle still chained to the bicycle stands without the rest of the bicycle attached to it. Theft of bicycles is very common here.  Because such incidences appear to be minor crimes, unimportant for anyone to bother about and too petty for the establishment lackeys to shorten their lunch hour to put some effort behind them, many stolen bicycles remain unrecovered.

The Hubby Doesn’t Understand

Throughout this entire episode, David had assumed an approach of resigned calmness.  He maintained his composure whilst reading out the notice to me.  He just looked at the letter cursorily and said “Oh well, we could find a corner within the living room to place our bikes.  When this blows over in a few months, they would forget about it and we’ll just reposition our bikes along the corridor again.”  That had absolutely no effect in calming me down.  Instead, I went into a ballistic frenzy thinking he was letting the establishment win.  I felt I had been oppressed!  I paid so much for a family pad and I can’t even park our bikes outside our front door!  Outrageous! And the only way he thought he could stop my torrent of expletives was to say “Stop raising your voice.  Just go play with your cards, talk to a crystal, or burn a candle. You will feel better after.”  Well, it’s been two days.  I haven’t felt any better and I haven’t thought any better about the establishment.

The King Of Cups

I spent the afternoon reflecting on David’s attitude to the entire episode and my anger slowly subsided making way for a little more calm in my heart.  David’s reaction to the matter, and indeed his reaction to most of the issues in our lives, reminds me of the King of Cups.

In my Radiant Rider Waite tarot deck, the King of Cups depicts an image of a King sitting calmly amidst a turbulent sea with a fish jumping wildly out of the water on his right, and a ship remains anchored on his left. 

The King of Cups is a manifestation of David in the way he deals with everything most of his life.  When times are rough, he accepts what’s been dealt and just manages it with emotional maturity.  He doesn’t let his emotions take control of himself, choosing instead to balance his heart and his head when he makes any major decisions.  He navigates challenges with a calm and nurturing approach, and leads the way by welding his quiet power to reassure the people around him that everything will be okay because he’s going to be taking care of it.  

I would love to adopt the energies of the King of Cups.  However, David thinks I am a fruitcake anyway and it doesn’t help that I am a complete control-freak at home, juggling my time between work, tarot reading and family commitments.  So I think, I am quite fortunate that at least one of us has good common sense and is very much in control.  He will always be my King of Cups.

About the writer:

The writer of this blog post is a marketeer by trade, and a tarot card reader by accident. She was awarded a Certified Professional Tarot Reader qualification from the Tarot Certification Board of America (TCBA) and was recently certified as a numerologist in Singapore. A member of the American Tarot Association (ATA) and the Tarot Association of the British Isles (TABI), she is also a reader for the Free Tarot Network and is a mentor for the ATA.

She can be contacted at www.facebook.com/SunGoddessTarot or www.sungoddesstarot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment