Tuesday 23 September 2014

A Quantum Leap In My Understanding Of Tarot


This blog post was written as my contribution to the Mabon Tarot Blog Hop 2014.  Please follow the links below to read the contributions of my fellow Tarot bloggers who are part of this wonderful Tarot Blog Hop community.

 BLOG BEFORE    |     MASTER LIST     |    BLOG AFTER

Autumn

I like Autumn.  Although there isn't Autumn in tropical Singapore, the pictures of trees in their various hues of red, gold and brown, swaying in a wind-swept Autumn day just seem so poetic to me.   It is the changing colors of the leaves, the weather and the impending dwindling sunlight, that makes this a season of transformation.  Often, the word transformation sparks fear in many.  To me, transformation is the necessary pathway to growth.

Mabon

During this period, my Pagan friends around the world celebrate the Autumnal festival of Mabon on 23 September.  For some of my blog readers who are not familiar with Mabon, the name Mabon came from an age-old Celtic myth about the Welsh god, Mabon who was abducted when young, and found again by King Arthur so that he could be reborn into the light. For more on the story of Mabon, do read it here

The Quantum Leap In My Understanding Of Tarot

A festival borne from a myth about rebirth and transformation is an ideal basis for the theme for this Mabon Tarot Blog Hop, designed by the wrangler, Morgan Drake Eckstein. I swear, he comes up with such difficult topics to stress me out but I love Morgan for his wit so I took up the challenge to write this post hoping to see if the creativity could flow from my heart and mind through my pen  the way his did.  Morgan had asked us to write about the time our understanding of Tarot had taken a quantum leap.  That was when I got really stressed out with writer's block.  Doh...my understanding of Tarot took a quantum leap the day I entered that beginner's class, Morgan!

When Morgan challenged me to interpret this topic,  I started to think about the transformational aspects of Autumn, and mapped it against my life and the transformation I had gone through with Tarot.  There were actually 2 occasions when this "quantum leap" had happened.  


The Role Of My Tarot Cards Have Changed

One of these occasions was the time I had stopped being fearful and embarrassed about my gift of clairvoyance enough to use my clairvoyance as a "scenario-builder" and my Tarot cards as a "scenario -clarifier".  This allowed me to provide even more accurate and more focused advice to my clients.  In the past, my client readings were just a session of questions answered by a few shuffle of the cards.  Today, I spend a good amount of time tuning into my visions, talking my clients through them, sharing what I see in their situations, then I would spend the last 15 minutes of the session clarifying the advice with my Tarot cards.  I used to feel that my clairvoyance had "betrayed" my Tarot cards as the former had taken precedence in my readings.  I was called Sun Goddess Tarot and not Sun Goddess Clairvoyant remember?  However, as I slowly built my business and saw how satisfied my clients were, and the increasing fulfillment I felt about finally working my purpose to the fullest,  I realized that my own understanding of the role of my cards had changed.  The cards have not been less important to me.  Rather,  the process I took to do my readings have undergone a wee transformation as I had tweaked the role of each of my skills to better meet the needs of my clients.  An example of a reading that had undertaken this process can be found here, where I used channeling to navigate through my visions for my client, then validate the reading with with numerology and Tarot.  This is Ava's story which I had built through this process.

Avoiding Health Questions

The second occasion when I experienced that quantum leap with my Tarot cards had to do with my understanding of Tarot ethics.   In the past, I would never use my a Tarot cards to answer a Health question.  I often had clients who asked questions like, "Is that lump serious you think?", " Should I go for that surgery?", "How likely do you think that I can get pregnant?" and the classic, "I really feel so exhausted, and have been losing a lot of weight. Do you think there is something wrong with me?"   To each of these questions, I always responded with an encouragement to go visit a qualified medical practitioner.  These questions had no place on my Tarot table.  Even when Dad had suffered a stroke last year, Mum asked if I could do a reading to find out the outcome of his health. I refused to do it and assured her, "Pray Mum. Dad will be okay if you'd just pray."

I still stand by my code of ethics and refuse to read for a Health issue but that quantum leap happened just recently when I realized that in the least, if I had been promoting Tarot as a tool of guidance and advice, I should be able to use it for just that even when a client asks a question about his or her health.  I can't pretend to be a doctor, but I certainly could offer advice on how best to manage one's life as one journeys towards better health right? I will just have to tweak the question a little to get to a more advice -centric answer,  By doing so, I would be true to my purpose of using Tarot to guide and advice.  An example was a reading I did for myself some months ago when I felt extremely exhausted, stressed and was often down with the flu.  When my immune system seems consistently weak, I knew I had to do something about it.  I could have picked my cards to ask, "what's wrong with me?" Instead, I picked my cards to ask "how could I better take care of myself?".  It led to a "Self-Care Package" that I had designed for myself.  I have stopped flinching from health questions and have embraced these by seeing them as an opportunity to reframe the questions in a way that empower querants to do something proactive to manage their journey towards better health and well-being. 

Transformation

So I do dig the fact that Transformation is always a necessary step to growth and development.  My understanding of my Tarot cards certainly has grown leaps and bounds through the process of re-engineering my perceptions about what role Tarot should play and what questions it could be used to answer.  I don't think this learning process will ever stop.  And if one can embrace the season of Autumn as a season of harvest and beautiful colors, instead of griping about the windchill and raking a garden full of dried leaves, I embrace Tarot as a tool that evolves according to the relationship that I have built with it.

Don't forget to visit the blogs of my fellow Tarot bloggers!

BLOG BEFORE    |     MASTER LIST     |    BLOG AFTER



If you like this blogpost, do follow my blog at http://sungoddesstarot.blogspot.com and LIKE my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/SunGoddessTarot

About The Writer:

The writer of this blog post is a marketeer by trade, and an intuitive reader by accident who deploys the combined modalities of a Tarot, Numerology and Astrology overlaid with her Clairvoyant and Clairsentient skills to deliver her readings with authenticity. She was awarded a Certified Professional Tarot Reader qualification from the Tarot Certification Board of America (TCBA) and is also a certified numerologist.  She is currently running a consultancy based in Singapore called Sun Goddess Tarot,  which provides confidential intuitive readings combining the metaphysical disciplines of Tarot, Numerology and Astrology via face to face and emails as well as readings at corporate and private events and workshops.  A member of the American Tarot Association (ATA) and the Tarot Association of the British Isles (TABI), she also mentors Tarot protégés on behalf of the American Tarot Association

Twitter: www.twitter.com/SunGoddessTarot
Instagram: @SunGoddessTarot






Photo credit:  Jason Colmer.  Photo taken at the turn of Autumn,
at the Japanese Garden,
at the Hobart Royal Botanical Gardens in Tasmania


25 comments:

  1. Jo, I think you summed it up brilliantly: "I embrace Tarot as a tool that evolves according to the relationship that I have built with it." I think that if we all honored this truth and uniqueness in each other, there would be a lot less conflict in Tarot-world ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact...I think if we honoured this truth, there is less conflict within ourselves as intuitives. Lol!:)
      XxJo

      Delete
  2. It took me a while to get past - there isn't Autumn in tropical Singapore
    I never knew that!
    Some interesting points there Joanna... especially on the health topic... I had that experience many times of trotting out the disclaimer and then going... oh... Ok... you know how I said I don't read on health... well your cards have lots to say! True, we are not G.P.s but... the cards do give lots of insight to attitudes and approaches to looking after your health on a holistic level... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! It is always hot hot hot all year round Karen! With some rain sometimes!

      XxJo

      Delete
  3. I loved hearing how your relationship with tarot evolved - thank you for sharing :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read my post Vivianne.

      XxJo

      Delete
  4. I don't avoid health questions but I do stress that I am not a substitute for a health professional and I won't stray into diagnosis territory

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your posts, Joanna - thanks for sharing more of your story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think doing health readings is fine if you are comfortable with them and the information supplied is provided in a helpful way that won't have the querant's doctors' hammering your door down! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the nature of that health reading needs to be clarified first..I sometimes feel the querants want us to play docs...eg " Would my heart issue deteriorate" ...think that's when I get uncomfortable. He needs to see doc with that. XxJo

      Delete
  7. I love your take on health questions! I'm always surprised at the number of clients who ask if they're pregnant--isn't it a lot cheaper to buy an EPT than a tarot reading?? Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I won't do health readings; like you, I advise going to a health care professional. But I will, if the client is okay with it, probe around to get to the emotional issue behind the question and read on that. For example, I had a lady come in and ask for a reading on whether she should have an eye operation. Turns out she was really concerned about being a burden on her family, being dependent. so we read on that topic instead. All it takes is a little pre-reading interview. (Unless you're one of those readers who thinks it's not a 'real' reading unless you do it cold -- but I'm sure we don't have any of those on our hop!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes questions always best...actually that does help me probe on what's the real issue too...a client came in and asked if she could get pregnant and I found out she was trying to hold on to a broken marriage....xxJo

      Delete
  9. Scenario clarifier. Yes! Perfection, Joanna. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As you say, Jo, we just keep learning. I did a health reading just recently and Death came up, but the point was that it was about the querent's state of mind, not their diagnosis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Louise:). Geeze I am do glad that card referred to his or her state of mind:) xxJo

      Delete
  11. Yep, wouldn't do to get too literal with a reading, whether health or other issues. These are symbols, not literal instructions, although the courts can be real people in your life, and that 7 of Wands can be about real multiple challenges you are facing.

    I also find that health readings are best taken on an emotional/energy level to see how to empower the querent to take appropriate action. I think the Tarot could give insight into the potential outcome at the time of the reading, but if we interpreted it in a deterministic way, we'd be creating self-fulfilling prophecy for the querent, which is silly, and possibly dangerous. I like your rephrasing approach, Joanna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Joanne...that sense of self-fulfilling prophecy is often something a lot of tarot readers would "unwittingly" create... I have personally experienced that. XxJo

      Delete
  12. You've given me much food for thought tonight, about health readings and there being no Autumn in Singapore, Joanna, thank you :)

    And I've put the bunting down just to find your Hop :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahaha! Louise, keep making your a Christmas stuff...I love how organized you are:) xxJo

      Delete